Sunday, 8 March 2015

My Fimo Clay Kit: Tips For Beginners

It's time to share with you all my fimo clay kit and some small tips and tricks I have learnt along the way whilst learning this fun little craft. When I first started out, I thought once you had a bunch of clay, that was it, the world was your oyster. Oh how wrong I was. I mean, it can be done, don't get me wrong but there are a lot of tools out there to make things hell of a lot easier. So lets get this thing on the road!
#1 Nail varnish remover and cotton pads.
Literally my life saver and I do not know where I would be without it. So what is it use for? Well, it's to get rid of any unwanted lint or dust that will get in amongst your clay. It happens guys and it is such a huge pain, believe me. You could wash your hands a gazillion times beforehand but you will still manage to get tiny little hairs on your clay, especially in the white kind. All you need to do is take a tiny slosh of nail varnish remover on your pad and rub away until it has been removed. I like to do it when the clay has been baked but it can also be done beforehand too.

#2 Baby oil.
At the start I was using this pretty frequently however at the moment, I rarely have to use it anymore. Using baby oil on your hands before handling the clay helps to get rid of any unwanted dust/lint and just keeps everything nice and clean. I now tend to just stick to the nail varnish remover instead as it is a lot less hassle. I also find that if you use too much oil then it can make the colour of the clay rub off on your hands which just creates way more mess than is necessary. However, it is a good staple to keep in your bag and makes your hands feel great too!

#3 Modelling tools.
Now, there are quite a few of these and to be honest, you could just use household materials if you have a lighter budget. However, for me at the moment I needed to buy more professional tools for much more intricate designs, and believe me, they do a great job! These include tweezers, fimo clay and nail art modelling tools and not forgetting teeny tiny cutters i.e. for stars (lets face it, they would be a rather large pain to cut freehand). I also keep a trusty toothpick for making holes when I make each item into jewellery, that is probably my most staple piece and something I am constantly needing!

#4 Paintbrushes
Just to put this out there, these are not for painting! I currently only use two of the brushes which I have clearly labelled so they don't get muddled up. One is for varnishing and the other is for pastels which I currently use on my edible looking creations. You could also use the brushes for creating faces or small intricate details but I will warn you, this can be a little tricky!

#5 Foil
Foil is great if you want to add some much needed texture to flat looking items, this works especially well with food too! I am also going to get a toothbrush to give a speckled look but this can also be done with a thick bristled paintbrush if you have one around the home. Just make sure it's clean as you don't want any extra lint getting in your beautiful creations!

#6 Varnish
I always glaze my creations once I have finished and find it's a great way to keep items clean and protected from any dirt or grim. That way it can be easily wiped clean and still looks as great as the day you made it!

That's all my tips and tricks for all you fimo clay beginners and I hope I have given you lots of ideas if you would like to start this super little craft. Let me know what tools you use and if there is anything I should be using to help me along the way. Many thanks dudes xox

12 comments:

  1. Great blog♥

    How about follow each other?
    I follow your blog. Waiting for you♥
    My Blog: http://juliemcqueen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing these tips! I have never worked with fimo so that is quite an inspiration to get started! :-)

    -Kati

    ReplyDelete
  3. never heard of this before! thanks for the tips! will definitely look into it!

    have a great week, dear!
    Animated Confessions

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing tips! =)

    http://whattostyle.blogspot.com

    xoxo,
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never used Fimo clay before. I'll remember this post in case:) So cool you can make so many things with it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. great tips! I have always wanted to try! =)
    xo,
    nancy

    http://www.adoretoadorn.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how organized you are! looks like a neat kit :)
    www.samanthamariko.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am too impatient for this detailed delicate crafting :D But I find it awesome what other people, like you, can make with simple fimo!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear, I like your blog very much! ! Everything is so beautiful! I like your style of writing and your photos! I know that blog requires much time, but keep doing it!

    I’ll be happy to see you in my blog!)

    Diana Cloudlet

    http://www.dianacloudlet.com/
    http://www.dianacloudlet.com/ru/

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me happy so come and make me smile :)